Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Module 1

Reading Anita Woolfolk chapter one (Learning, Teaching, and Educational Psychology), our classrooms are made up of many cultures and ethically.  Students and teachers are learning to work with each other and building relationships. Although the classrooms will soon be diverse and most of the teachers will be white, students can still succeed in life. (5). Teachers can make a difference in a student life no matter what background the teacher is from.  In high expectations for teachers and students (6) the NCLB Act takes away from struggling students. Also, makes it very more difficult for the teacher to meet AYP standards. It is common sense to select random student to participate in different activities specially in reading (13).  I remember as a child I did not like the teachers to call on me because I felt that nervous and I would mispronounce many of the words. I did not want anybody laughing at me.  In class I always select students that I know that will be able to read the students.
            Another concept that I read for the reading this week was about differentiated instruction (p. 10).  In the past, students with special needs were in a separate class set away from the “normal” students. Today, most schools practice mainstreaming.  My class 2nd and 3rd graders mainstream with a regular ed class for gym.

             In the second chapter, the concept I liked was The Brain and Learning to read (38-39) I found it interesting know how the brain works when one reads. Every one brain works differently and at times process information at a different rate. As a future teacher one must be able to recognize a struggling student and accommodate to their needs. For example, a struggling student will not recognize words, sounds or symbols the same way a “normal” student would.


            In the third chapter, I really enjoyed reading about Erikson’s of psychology development (87-92). Erikson’s theory determines that parents and society can affect a child’s development through adulthood. Also, Erikson believed that everyone must pass through a series of eight stages in life. The 5th stage Identity versus role confusion was difficult for me because as an adolescence I struggle to understand life. As an adult I believe it was because my parents were going through a divorce. One might go through these stages in life, but I believe that everyone is different and will pass through the stages at different times.  

1 comment:

  1. Diana,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post; you touched on several great topics. The topic you spoke of, that really made me think was when you mentioned the NCLB Act takes away from struggling students. This law hold schools accountable for how students learn and achieve. The law is controversial because it penalizes schools that do not show improvement. Every year on the first day of school, we have a meeting and discuss AYP and where our school is compared to the schools in our surrounding area. It is interesting to see the outcome. Plus I believe more and more families are struggling to make ends meet. Years ago it was not uncommon for only one parent to work and now it is almost impossible. NCLB sets the expectation that struggling students learn alongside their peers. Schools were pushed to give struggling students more support and help. One positive result from NCLB is they are finding that education has improved and a negative result is that teachers are too focused on “teaching to the test”.
    The second chapter on The Brain and Learning to read, you spoke about how the brain works when one reads. I also believe that everyone learns and processes information differently. During my day as a paraprofessional, I see a variety of students. When I work with students not all of them are on the same level. In 2nd grade some of the students I work with have trouble with letter sounds, others are just working on checking for understanding or expression. In 5th grade students work on checking for understanding as they read. I am happy to say, since I have been working with these particular students, they have been successful.

    ReplyDelete