I created a wrong way
classroom management animated video. In my video, the teacher was ready to
begin her new lesson and the student were not ready to pay attention. They continued
to talk among each other and completely ignored the teacher. She did not settle her classroom down before beginning
her lesson. Teacher began her lesson anyways and expected the students to pay
attention when she began to speak. I’ve had experience somewhat the same
management in the classroom. Where teachers expected the student to settle
themselves down. I think it depends on the age group and the maturity level of
the student that will settle themselves down as soon as the teacher begins to
speak. I believe if a teacher does this
to her classroom all of the time, she might be reinforcing a negative behavior.
A child may not understand that as soon as she begin to speak she is ready to
present a lesson. This can be confusing to a student. I think that a positive reinforcement would
be that she/he makes an announcement. For example the teacher should say
something like this, in three minutes (amount of time depends on the teacher) I
will begin a lesson and I would need everyone to pay attention. A timer would
be appropriate to use and to set. Students need that extra time to settle in and
to allow their brains to begin the process of learning. I enjoy read chapter 7 and 13, but after
reading chapter 7 (Behavioral Views of Learning), I believe that we as teachers
or future teachers need to teach the children good behavioral. What I found interested was reinforcement. In
order for students or anyone to learn any type of behavior, reinforcement should
be followed whether it’s a positive or a negative one (251). Some might believe that negative reinforcement
can be the same as a punishment. Another interesting reinforcement is continuous
reinforcement schedules. It is true that students that are responded with
continuous reinforcement schedule tend to become learn new behavior much
quicker (253).
Hi Diana,
ReplyDeleteI love your videos! I liked the “wrong classroom management” video, this shows how unprepared the teacher is to handle the classroom. She did not take the time to have the students all sit in their seats and settle down before she conducted her lesson. I have been in a classroom where the teacher has displayed poor classroom management skills. The students paid absolutely no attention to the teacher. Even though they were only in 1st grade, I think if the teacher would have set her expectations from the beginning of the year, maybe her classroom would not have been up for grabs. It really made the learning experience for the students very difficult, I often wondered how they were learning if they were not following some sort of rules. As an educator, I believe if you set an expectation in the beginning of the school year, you need to make sure you are following through with the expectations you set for your students. If you are not a positive role model for your students than how can you expect them to follow the rules? The other video I watched, “right way classroom management,” displayed what a classroom should look like. The teacher may have been teaching for several years and knows how to manage her classroom. She explained to the students that the lesson was about to begin so they needed to find their seats. I agree with you if we teach the students to follow a specific routine than they are more able to remember the routine and then it just becomes a learned behavior. As a future educator, I will instill classroom routines and rules in the beginning of the year. I will also set an expectation that I believe each and every student should be able to follow.