Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Module 2

I’ve been working as a teacher’s aide in a special education classroom.  After reading Anita Woolfolk text chapter four, I learned that everyone learns differently. “Every child is a distinctive collection of talents, abilities, and limitations” (118).  While working with students with learning, I found that every child is not alike. In the section Student Characteristics, I learned that most common characteristics are certain difficulties. For example in the classroom that I am currently aiding, there are students with hyperactivity and impulsivity, lack of motivation, difficulty processing information, and problems paying attention. Although they are in a special ed classroom there are many students that are in the regular class with the same characteristics (137).  Also, I learned that labeling students can lead to a controversial issue. “A label does not tell which methods to use with individual students” (118).   If a student is label with a certain disorder a student may start believing this for their rest of their lives. For example, if a child is on Adhd medicine one might start thinking that the child has a behavioral disorder. When in reality, this child is a bright person that his or her brain doesn’t allow them to focus on one thing at a time. I agree the term “special needs” is a protection for students with disabilities whether it’s learning or physical. “If classmates know a student has intellectual disabilities (once called mental retardation), they will more willing to accept his or her behaviors” (118).  Another interesting topic that I found was section Measuring Intelligence.  Beniet believed that students with learning disabilities or students from poverty should be tested by their intellectual skills. “Binet and Simon finally identified 58 tests, several for each age group from 3 to 13” (124). There are many different ways of testing ones intelligence by taking testing individuals or as a group. However, I believe that IQ testing can be discouraging to students. As an adult, I took the test and although my score was considered normal; I still questioned my intelligence.


            In chapter 5 section Teaching Immigrant Students and English Language Learners by Anita Woolfolk, although I was born and raise in the United State, I can relate to Felipe’s story.  My father came to the US at age 17 to make a better life for himself and met my mother here in the US. My mother (Mexican descent) was born in Texas and knew English. The reason I can relate to his story is because my mother helped many immigrant family to settle in the United States. As a paraprofessional I continue to help families and non-English speaking students at my school.  Everyone deserves an education and deserves to succeed. “There are so many students like Felipe and his siblings in America school today,” and “we explore ways of teaching these students so that their dreams of college and careers can come true wherever they finally live”(185).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Diana,
    I agree with chapter 4, that everyone learns differently. As I mentioned before, there are several types of learners and each student learns in a different way. Working in a special education classroom as an aide, must be quite challenging. Being a teacher’s aide, gives you the ability to recognize each student and their learning ability and give them the support they need. I agree with you when you mentioned that there are many students in regular education classes with the same characteristics. I work in a regular education classroom and there are several students that are not receiving special education services. I believe those students would be benefit from the extra help. During my day, I try to offer the extra help as the teacher is giving the lesson, but this can be challenging at times.
    I agree labeling students can and will lead to negativity. Being a teacher’s aide, I have been in classrooms with all different types of students. From students diagnosed with ADHD, learning disabilities and special needs. I think a student diagnosed with ADHD doesn’t mean they have a behavioral disorder. There is a student who I know that was diagnosed with ADHD but does not have any behavioral problems. Just like you said, their brain doesn’t let them focus. The student is very quiet and polite and you would never know if they had ADHD. It is amazing how much other students are willing to help those that are struggling academically and even socially. Once a student finds out or figures out, that their fellow peers may struggle they step up and help out. The school where I work at has an ELS program, within the program they have created a group called, “Biddy Buddies”. This is where regular education students volunteer to eat lunch with a special needs student, they play games and make crafts and have lunch together. I believe this is a great program and it teaches children to get along with one another no matter who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diana,
    Ever since I started working as a paraprofessional in an elementary school, I've been touched by the way students with disabilities are accepted by their peers. We often have regular ed kids and special needs kids put in the same classroom. Therefore, the regular ed kids witness the behavioral outburst of the special needs kids. However, the students seem to be very accepting and understanding of their peers with these needs. Many regular ed students will try to help or even befriend these struggling students. A lot of students in the school system, in my opinion, have a strong understanding of what special needs kids go through just because of their exposure in the classroom. This is a wonderful benefit of having both types of students in the same classroom. Both regular ed and special ed students can learn from each other.

    ReplyDelete